The last two months have been rough for me. My shoulder gave out and I had to do some physical therapy, then I needed an emergency root canal, so needless to say I haven’t felt very much like sitting in front of my sewing machine. Projects round here have been light because of that. I finally found some time and energy to do some sewing, so first on my list was finishing up some tardy Bee Creative swap blocks.
First up was the block for August, she asked for a log cabin block with little bits of color running through it. She used a sheet for the white, which I found to be a little harder to sew, but I think the overall block ended up quite nice.
The second block was for September. She asked for a fussy cut center and a standard log cabin block. Unfortunately I ended up cutting my strips a half inch larger than I had planned so my log cabin blocks looked a little weird, but I hope she is able to use it anyway.
As I told you earlier, I recently put together my Halloween top that the girls from my Bee Creative swap made for me. It was like a puzzle putting all the blocks together. I didn’t give them any direction on the size of the blocks, so I had all different sizes. I laid them out on the floor and moved them around until I liked the look. Then I added a little extra fabric here and there to make everything fit.
When I was done putting it all together, I felt like it needed something more, so since I have a lot of fabric left I wanted to try a border. I went for a braided border because it really shows off the leftover pieces of Halloween fabric. This was the first time I ever tried a braided border, and it was easier than I thought it would be. I used a tutorial from Quiltville. I cut my pieces 2.5 by 4.5 inches, which made a 4.5 inch border.
I am totally in love with this top, once it is totally finished it will probably hang in my hallway.